Thursday 15 November 2007

Thoughts about the scale of my drawings



Scale seems important to consider within my work. I have started a series of images that are of a smaller size than I would usually work on. I began making the drawings smaller (top) to find a way of creating a greater sense of intimacy with these images; linking to my earlier ideas that drawing the everyday is a way of getting a greater sense of intimacy with the things and spaces around us. I have linked this to textile based illustrations (right) created by Laura Mccafferty because she also draws the ordinary and everyday to create small scale images. In the fashion illustration book Imagemakers Martin Dawber notes that '... Laura elaborates on everyday events such as going to the hairdresser or doing the grocery shopping... Routine is vividly captured in floral patterns using applique, hand stitching and paint. She usually works small, which gives the viewer the feeling that they are peeking in on a captured moment' (Dawber, 2004, Imagemakers, p46).
I have been thinking about the way I draw these images, there's a process of editing, in which I focus on some areas with concentrated detail, and then simplify or leave other areas blank. I link this to memory and story telling and the way we remember some things in great detail, yet forget others or even imagine the missing parts. I've begun thinking about how people might relate to these images, seeing the simplified areas as a space where the viewer can add their own narrative by imagining these missing areas.

No comments: