Friday 30 November 2007

Collections from a charity shop rag bag









Having drawn collections of everyday objects in Helston Folk Museum I wanted to explore different types of collections. I went to a charity shop and was given three rag bags of things they couldn't sell in the shop. I documented what I found in these bags. I see the clothes shoes and bags found in the three rag bags as a kind of collection. They all individually made their way to the charity shop from different peoples collections of things. Somehow they became things that no one wanted anymore, things with no value, neither in a practical sense or as mementos. When they arrived at the charity shop they weren't wanted there either - a tale of rejection and abandonment? - A group of objects that that became a collection by accident; by the accident or chance of being discarded and then 'collected' and found by me? Do they share any other similarities or characteristics other than this chance factor of having been thrown away and then thrown together? Some are old and worn out telling stories of the people who used them in the past, whilst others are new and seem unworn bearing no trace of any previous life. Some are for men, some for women. Some seem as though they were made quite recently, whilst others were perhaps made a long time ago. All of them are textiles in some way.
I began to draw and photograph some of these items, seeing them as a kind of portrait, I also began to write fragments of narratives in my sketchbook, imagining their past.

No comments: