Friday 2 November 2007

trace, time and the everyday


In my sketchbook I have begun to explore the idea of trace and time. Over a period of four days I have drawn the same corner in a room, documenting the way the space has slightly changed each day, tracing a human presence and absence. I have been thinking about mark making when I'm drawing, I have been using a continuous line - thinking about the way this can suggest a trace or residue of a moment in time.
'...to see the familiar with quite new eyes, to think about our marks and imprints, which like our memories, can remain indelible or fade from sight.'
quote from: Whiting, D., Exhibition Reviews, Caroline Broadhead. In: Crafts, Sept/Oct 2001. p59.

Doing a series of drawings of an 'everyday' space has made me question - what is the 'everyday'? It seems to be subjective - is an image only read as being 'everyday' depending on your cultural or social context or background?

No comments: