Tuesday 23 October 2007

Drawings and Notes from Helston Folk Museum






On Friday 19th Oct I spent the morning drawing at Helston Folk Museum. I wanted to explore the way objects can carry a sense of narrative, time or trace. Whilst in the museum I became interested in the fragments of information the veiwer is told about an object. I liked not knowing much about an object - just a name and a date - it allows you to imagine, like a child's story book with the words missing and only the pictures remaining.

Whilst I was drawing a pair of battered miners boots I began thinking about the significance of mark-making. I began drawing them with a continuous line, thinking about the line representing a trace from the past to now. I also left parts of the drawing missing, and focused on certain details - I was thinking about the way memory works, we clearly remember some details from the past but forget others.

When I was drawing a group of dresses in the museum an elderly man began talking to me. Afterwards I noted down from memory fragments of our conversation. It seemed to add to a sense of narrative linked to my time spent there.

1 comment:

Miss Ridout said...

hi claire
perhaps the following blog might be of interest - not all but some of the posts might be up your street.

http://florizel.canalblog.com/

it's all in french, but if you don't understand, some of the images alone might inspire you. lots of things about the 'traces' left in clothes. and other random things.

have a trawl!

hope it's going well,
lizzie